Distinguishing different types of pain
- Nociceptive or somatic pain (from usual sensory receptors in the body, acute pain): aching, pressure, throbbing.
- Neuropathic (from damaged nervous tissue, often described as electric or shooting or burning pain, chronic—common cause: diabetes).
- Inflammatory (nociceptive pain specifically because of mediators causing tissue inflammation).
Treatment by type of pain:
- Nocioceptive: Acetaminophen, NSAIDS, steroids
- Neuropathic: antidepressant or anticonvulsant drugs
- Inflammatory: NSAIDS or steroids
Treatment by site:
- Bone pain from cancer metastases is both nocioceptive and neuropathic.
- Doctor Name
Version 1. February 1, 2019